Strataseach Performance

StrataSearch has many powerful features, with many techniques and approaches to explore. Here we discuss the things we've done, and the things we'd like to do.

Strataseach Performance

Postby gmg733 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:02 am

Any suggestions on how to optimize SS performance. I have a dual processor E5-2643 workstation with 4 physical cores per proc. I have some E5-2680s that are slower GHz but more cores. I was curious which way does SS lean for performance, does it want more cores or faster clock?

Any other tips would be helpful as well. I have access to server grade hardware and processors. So that is why I have a E5 machine now.
gmg733

Re: Strataseach Performance

Postby Overload » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:47 pm

The answer depends on the type of search you tend to run. If you run against sectors with a small number of symbols (maybe 30 or less), I would say that a faster clock is more important. But if you run against larger sectors (Russell 2000, S&P 500, or even the Nasdaq 100), the number of cores probably makes the bigger difference.

The reason is that multiple threads can be used to scan and evaluate the signals for each of the symbols in the sector. So if you happen to have 8 cores, that portion of the evaluation will run in 1/8 of the time. However, once the symbols have been evaluated, it reverts back to a single thread to merge the results from each of the symbols into a single, combined result. It is at this point that the speed of the processor itself is most important.

On the Setups > System Settings menu, you can change the "Number of Processors to Utilize" to the maximum number allowed based on the number of processors available on your computer. I believe it defaults to the max, but you can always check and throttle it down if want to use your computer for other things while StrataSearch is running.

Some users have pushed their computer to the limits by running multiple instances of StrataSearch at one time. This can be done by setting up multiple Data Folders. See Data Folders in the help for more information. One of the problems is that with multiple installations, it can be a bit more complicated keeping track of which installation has which systems and results. At one point I was running 8 installations on 1 computer, and it got a bit overwhelming keeping track of it all.

As far as the performance of the computer is concerned, the speed of the disk drive can be pretty important also. A 5400rpm drive is going to make everything run quite a bit slower. A 7200rpm is noticeably better. But the gold standard is now an SSD, which I've heard can run 2x to 4x faster than a 7200rpm drive. But the top of the line models can be pricey.

Hopefully this helps.

Pete
Overload

Re: Strataseach Performance

Postby gmg733 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks. Running SSD RAID stripe.

This is a neat feature. Already have another one set up. Awesome.

64 bit version I am sure will be out soon. ;)
gmg733

Return to General Discussion