Select Symbols Randomly ?

StrataSearch has many powerful features, with many techniques and approaches to explore. Here we discuss the things we've done, and the things we'd like to do.

Select Symbols Randomly ?

Postby rjay » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:46 am

In the Autosearch Rank tab is there any formula I could use to choose symbols randomly ?
rjay

Re: Select Symbols Randomly ?

Postby Overload » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:58 pm

You could use the random() formula, with something like this:

random(1, 5000)

Keep in mind that because it's random, you will generally get different results each time you run it. So you may need to run it multiple times and track an average if that's the type of number you're after.

Pete
Overload

Re: Select Symbols Randomly ?

Postby Kevin_in_GA » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:10 am

This is what I do when developing system that use limit order entries - you cannot predict which stocks will trigger first when using EOD data so I set up the rank selection like this:

random(100,@1rand)

and set the @1rand variable to between 100 and 1100. This gives me 1000 random combinations of trade entries, but does it in a manner that is more accurate than a simple MC analysis since Monte Carlo does not care about when a trade was entered. For periods where the selection criteria would only return one or two stocks these days are more accurately calculated in backtests.
Kevin_in_GA

Return to General Discussion