Levered Short ETFs

StrataSearch has many powerful features, with many techniques and approaches to explore. Here we discuss the things we've done, and the things we'd like to do.

Levered Short ETFs

Postby gmg733 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:23 am

What am I doing wrong? I created a custom sector for levered ETFs and the ultra shorts, for example, are not in the sector I created. Example is TNZ and FAZ? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
gmg733

Re: Levered Short ETFs

Postby Overload » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Are TNZ and FAZ in your symbols database? You can view the symbols database by opening the Setups > Price and Symbols menu. You can add symbols from that menu, or you can add them from the File > Import Prices menu by clicking the Edit button to the right of the Securities selection.

Likewise, you can also view or manually maintain Sectors on the Setups > Sector Setups menu. Or you can add them from the File > Import Sectors menu by clicking the Edit button to the right of the Sector File selection.

After making changes to the listings, you'll also need to go through a cycle of Import Prices and/or Import Sectors for everything to be refreshed with the new settings.

Pete
Overload

Postby gmg733 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:22 pm

I'll check. I made my own sector through import sectors and it is in there. When I go to sector set ups I don't see these symbols listed

Thanks
gmg733

Postby gmg733 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:29 pm

So out of about 65 symbols only about 29 loaded. There is no logic as to what does or does not make it. I created a sector for them and put all the symbols there. Imported my sectors and did an import on the prices. The sector setup never gets all the symbols. I then manually added the missing symbols. Did a reimport of the sectors and the prices and the symbols didn't get tagged to the sector. I had to manually check each of the new symbols I input by hand.

I am sure I'm doing something wrong (which is typically the case) :)

Nonetheless, I have one of my sectors 100% correct.
gmg733

Postby Overload » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 pm

I think your problem is the sequencing. You have to get your symbols and prices set up first, and then you can add them to the sectors. If you try to import a sector, and symbols either don't exist or don't have prices, they will be bypassed for that sector. The sector information is not retained until the symbols are set up later.

So you have to set up the symbols first, then prices, then sectors.

Pete
Overload

Postby gmg733 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:52 pm

And you set up symbols by doing what I did? Adding them from Setups > Price and Symbol Setups

Thanks.
gmg733

Postby Overload » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:30 am

Yes, you can set them up manually, but I don't recommend that for anything more than a temporary change. The reason is that if you ever import your prices database from scratch (by checking the Clear Previous Prices, Symbols and Sectors option on the File > Import Prices menu), your manual changes won't be saved. Manual changes to the prices database are also not saved in backups, so you'll risk needing to rebuild them manually at some point in the future.

If you enter your symbol or sector changes to the list by clicking the Edit buttons, they will be retained if you restore your prices database from scratch, and they will be backed up.

The chance of wiping out your manual changes is even greater with a sector import. If you make manual changes to a sector, and then do an Import Sectors that happens to have that sector defined, your manual changes will be overlayed.

Changing the lists by clicking the Edit button and adding them through the Notepad window is definitely recommended.

Pete
Overload

Postby gmg733 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:06 pm

I think I understand now.

File > Import Prices > Edit (next to symbols) > (add symbols and descriptions to the text file)

Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks.
gmg733

Return to General Discussion