Daily Signals get out of sync with system

StrataSearch has many powerful features, with many techniques and approaches to explore. Here we discuss the things we've done, and the things we'd like to do.

Daily Signals get out of sync with system

Postby gmg733 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:36 pm

I have a daily signal that gets ran after a price update each day. I did some work my home network and manually ran the daily signal after a manual price update and the positions held, limited to 5 in this system, changed. Two/three of the stocks were the same from the day before, but the ones for Friday had a few different.

Why is that? I get the premise the system is the system, it performs as an ecosystem, but when you rely on the buy, sell and hold output everyday how does one compensate for when it could change. I know you can't comment on how to trade, but curious as to why this happens.

Thanks.
gmg733

Re: Daily Signals get out of sync with system

Postby Overload » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 am

Unless the price data changes, you should be able to run your Daily Signals over and over and get the exact same results. But it's not that uncommon for a pricing service to inject a correction into the historical price stream a couple days later. For example, there may have been a split that didn't get adjusted into the prices until a couple days after the split occurred.

But it's also good to consider when you're importing your prices, and whether prices have been fully refreshed at that point in time. For the best prices, you should not check the "Import Current Prices" on the File > Import Prices menu. While using that option can get you prices much earlier in the day, they also come from a different pricing service than the historical prices and can therefore be revised more frequently on subsequent days. As for the main Yahoo prices, later is definitely better. I am not sure of their regular refresh time, but 10pm Eastern Time is about what it used to be. If you import too early, there is a chance that a large number of your prices won't be current.

One option you can use is to open the Setups > Price and Symbol Setups menu, and change the Sort to "Last Date". This will allow you to scroll through the last price dates for all the symbols and see if most of the current prices were pulled. There will be a large number of symbols that "ended" months or even years ago, but what you're looking for is the bulk of the prices being current and very few being current minus one day. Those are the ones that are problematic.

As for following signals that may have changed, that really depends on the scenario. If you have the "Portfolio Only" box checked on the Daily Signals Listing, try unchecking that box and seeing if the positions show up as non-portfolio positions. If so, you can just follow them there to their normal exit. But if they have disappeared entirely, that is a bigger issue since the buy signals might not have occurred with the correct prices being used. In that case you have the choice of exiting the position immediately or following it through to a simulated exit. To do that, you might try making a copy of the strategy but placing only a date selection in the entry string for the date the trade was triggered. You can also run the strategy against just that symbol, allowing you to follow it in its own signal definition. But every scenario is different, so you'll need to look closely at the exit and see if that's an appropriate approach for your particular system.

Hopefully all of this helps.

Pete
Overload

Re: Daily Signals get out of sync with system

Postby gmg733 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:00 am

Great feedback and thank you. I should have known on the Portfolio thing. :)
gmg733

Return to General Discussion