Sector Building Questions

StrataSearch has many powerful features, with many techniques and approaches to explore. Here we discuss the things we've done, and the things we'd like to do.

Sector Building Questions

Postby gmg733 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:49 pm

A couple questions:

1) I created a one click for a 5 strategy system and selected 2 different sectors, S&P500 and Nasdaq100. What I notice in my results are strategy 1 and 2 are Nasdaq100 sector based and 3 through 5 were S&P500 based. While the strategy is nice, I was really looking for 5 strategies looking at all 600 stocks and 5 strategies based upon those. Natural inclination would be to create my own sector with the 600 equities in it. Is there an easier way to do this?

2) How can I make a Midcap 400 sector without adding each individual equity? Is there an automated way to do this?

Thanks.
gmg733

Re: Sector Building Questions

Postby Overload » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:35 pm

1) I created a one click for a 5 strategy system and selected 2 different sectors, S&P500 and Nasdaq100. What I notice in my results are strategy 1 and 2 are Nasdaq100 sector based and 3 through 5 were S&P500 based. While the strategy is nice, I was really looking for 5 strategies looking at all 600 stocks and 5 strategies based upon those. Natural inclination would be to create my own sector with the 600 equities in it. Is there an easier way to do this?

You're right that you'll need to create a combined sector if you want to run against all the symbols combined. Here's how you can do that in the Screener:

1) Open the Screener, and click the New button to start a new screen. The Rank and Selection entries should be empty.

2) Select your first Sector as the sector selection, and click Calculate. You should then have a list of all the symbols in that sector.

3) Click the "Save..." button on the top right, and save the symbol list to a New Sector with the name of your choice.

4) Back on the Screener, change the sector selection to your 2nd Sector, and again click the Calculate button.

5) Again click the "Save..." button, but this time save to and Existing Sector. It should be the same sector you created in Step 3 above.

When complete, your new Sector should have the symbols from both of your existing sectors. If desired, you can continue this process to combine as many sectors as you'd like.

2) How can I make a Midcap 400 sector without adding each individual equity? Is there an automated way to do this?

First, you'll need to get a list of the Midcap 400 symbols. Here is a link:

http://www.standardandpoors.com/indices ... --p-us-m--

Just follow the Download Index Data section, and you can view the Constituents after registering. It is free.

Next, open the File > Import Sectors menu, and click the Edit button to the right of the Sector File selection. This opens a file in Notepad, where you can add an additional sector to the list. Just follow the rules for naming your new sector. When complete, you can then complete the sector import and you'll have a Midcap 400 Index.

Pete
Overload

Postby gmg733 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 am

I did the first one and I get 507 entries. Does this sound right. I know some equities are listed on both, but I wouldn't have thought that many.

Thanks.
gmg733

Postby Overload » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 pm

I have not tried matching the symbols but it would not surprise me if there was a large overlap between the Nasdaq 100 and the S&P 500. If you do a symbol comparison, please let me know.

Pete
Overload

Postby gmg733 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Doing it by hand I got 547 (+- 1 or so). So a net delta of 40 off.

Wasn't too painful.

Thanks!
gmg733

Postby Overload » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:42 am

Okay, thanks for checking. I think a large number of the missing symbols might be coming from stocks that have dropped from the S&P list of symbols. Here is what you should do:

1) First, if you haven't updated your symbol lists recently, you can use the File > Refresh Symbol and Sector Lists menu to update to the most recent lists. These are still a few months old, but may be much more recent than the lists since your original installation.

2) Use the Screener as mentioned in my first post to save just the symbols from the S&P 500.

3) Enter the Setups > Sector Setups menu, and see how many symbols there are in your Screened S&P 500 sector.

I believe you'll find the number is much smaller than 500. Many of the stocks in that list have stopped trading due to mergers, bankruptcies, symbol changes, etc. When you then add the list of non-overlapping Nasdaq 100 symbols to that shortened S&P 500 list, you get the small number of merged symbols (like the 507 you saw).

Hopefully this answers it for you.

Pete
Overload

Postby gmg733 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks. Kind of what I thought.

Is this the same reason why I may have 547 symbols but only 511 load in the one click?

Thanks.
gmg733

Postby Overload » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:06 am

That is part of it. But there are also a number of stocks that are "excluded" due to invalid prices. StrataSearch checks for invalid prices during the price import, and excludes stocks from processing when bad data is found. Open the Setups > Price and Symbol Setups menu and you'll see the excluded symbols displayed in red. You can also open the Setups > Sector Setups menu, update the sector of your choice and select "Selected" as the Filter, and you'll see the excluded stocks in light gray. For additional information on how invalid prices are identified, you can open the Setups > System Settings menu, Invalid Prices tab.

Pete
Overload

Return to General Discussion