Quotes Plus out of business

StrataSearch has many powerful features, with many techniques and approaches to explore. Here we discuss the things we've done, and the things we'd like to do.

Quotes Plus out of business

Postby George2010 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I did not get a download from Quotes Plus last night and when I go to their website I see this message:

Due to financial circumstances beyond our control,

we will no longer deliver any data after Friday, January 6,2012.

Anyone have any idea if this is for real?

Thanks,
George
George2010

Re: Quotes Plus out of business

Postby Overload » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:58 pm

I believe that may be correct. Another user mentioned just 2 days ago that their phone was disconnected and they were not responding to tech support e-mails.

Problems started happening for Quotes Plus a few years ago, and they couldn't appear to keep up. They lost their futures prices provider, and decided to drop futures from their lineup altogether. They made a rather miserable attempt at intraday prices, which didn't seem to go anywhere. And in the meantime, their EOD service was never enhanced or even upgraded for full compatibility with Vista or Windows 7. Thus, users needed to "Run As Administrator" if they wanted to access QP data. Their forum on Yahoo seemed to come to a close a couple years ago, and no program updates or refreshes of their website seemed to have occurred during that time. So I believe Quotes Plus has been dying for some time.

Quotes Plus was a unique service due to their ability to package many features into their service. While still limited, they were the only service to package fundamental data along with their prices. They also provided sector/industry data, mutual funds, futures, and a number of other features not available from standard price streams. So they will be missed.

Keep an eye on the Tech Support area of the StrataSearch forum. I'll assemble a list of viable alternatives and post a list of them by sometime tomorrow.

Pete
Overload

Postby George2010 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Pete,

Thanks for all the info and the offer to post your additional ideas. I'll be looking at alternatives myself and look forward to reading your thoughts as well.

Thanks,
George
George2010

Postby George2010 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Pete,

Here is one service that was recommended by another trading system development vendor:

http://www.premiumdata.net/support/switching.php

I did not see it listed in your documentation, so I thought I would pass it along. They appear to have the data stored in metastock format and some kind of sector/industry data, i.e. custom folders? I'm not sure if the sector data would work with StrataSearch though.

Thanks for your help.
George
George2010

Postby Jaded » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 pm

And now it appears that I am unable to connect to yahoo for prices either.. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Jaded

Postby Dacamic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:32 pm

I've been able to download prices from Yahoo during the past couple days ... but, it's rarely a smooth process. I almost always encounter a combination of disconnects and skipped symbols. It hasn't been bad enough, though, to force me to a paid service.

I really miss Quotes Plus.
Steve
Dacamic

Postby taowave » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi Steve,
I am not terribly computer savvy,and am curious as to why you would miss QP.I too used QP3,tested Norgate Premium data and now use TC2007.
If I am not mistaken,it appeared form another program that backtests were faster with QP3.
I also notice from another forum that "power" users prefer Premium data over TC 2007.

TC2007 suits me fine,but I am wondering what,if any,are the advantages of one data service over another? Is one format significantly faster than another? I am assuming all offer clean data..

Thanks,

Allan

Dacamic wrote:I've been able to download prices from Yahoo during the past couple days ... but, it's rarely a smooth process. I almost always encounter a combination of disconnects and skipped symbols. It hasn't been bad enough, though, to force me to a paid service.

I really miss Quotes Plus.
taowave

Postby Dacamic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Allan,

QuotesPlus had a nice combination of useful sector definitions, large historical database, low-effort importing into StrataSearch and small monthly cost. The tandem of StrataSearch and QuotesPlus ran on my Windows XP machine with very few problems for several years. I upgraded to Windows 7 about a year ago, which made QuotesPlus hiccup a little bit; overall, though, it still worked well. And then -- sigh -- QuotesPlus went out of business.

I have used a handful of price services for StrataSearch over the years, yet only have extensive experience with QuotesPlus, MSN and Yahoo. So, any opinions I have about the various services are mostly based upon comments that other users have made.

StrataSearch converts price data into its own format, which means its processes will work the same regardless of the price service being used. In other words, StrataSearch won't run faster -- or slower -- using one service versus another. It was reasonably easy for me to switch to Yahoo, so I made that change when QuotesPlus went kaput. It's a questionable choice over the long-term, mostly because sector definitions would need to be manually updated and daily downloads are almost always incomplete to a noticeable extent. It'll work for me (for awhile), though, until I make time to investigate other options.
Steve
Dacamic

Return to General Discussion