Numbers After Formula in AutoSearch Setup

StrataSearch will find what you tell it to, but what should that be? Will the same criteria work across different Sectors? Different time periods? Here we discuss the ins and outs of OneClick Searches.

Numbers After Formula in AutoSearch Setup

Postby prlester » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Hello group, in the Autosearch setup there are numbers after each formula, e.g "MOMENTUM -1" and "MOMENTUM-2". I'm reading the Formula Reference chapter in the manual and I don't see any mention of this. For example, what is the difference between momentum-1 and momentum-2?

Thanks,
Patrick
prlester

Re: Numbers After Formula in AutoSearch Setup

Postby Jaded » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:34 pm

From what I have seen, it is usually a difference between a < and a > in formula's.

-1 might be mov(close,20,simple) > mov(close,50,simple)
-2 might be mov(close,20,simple) < mov(close,50,simple)

Just my initial experience.. there may be other logic behind it though.
Jaded

Postby prlester » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks Jaded. I am thinking it is alternate forms of the same indicator. I was creating an autosearch with the Mass Index as the primary entry/exit string and wasn't sure what the difference is between "mass index: -1" and "mass index: -2".

Regards,
Patrick
prlester

Postby Overload » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 am

Originally, we separated trading rules based on whether they were traditionally long or traditionally short. In fact, in earlier versions of StrataSearch, the "1" used to be an "L" and the "2" used to be an "S". When running an AutoSearch or OneClick, StrataSearch would only use the trading rules on the side you were looking for. So if you wanted a long strategy, it would use only the "L" rules.

What we quickly found was that trading rules that are traditionally used in a short system often work quite well in a long system, and vice-versa. Thus, we abandoned the "L" and "S" designations and basically said a rule's a rule. If it helps create a good trading system, then it doesn't matter how it was traditionally used.

So, in a nutshell, the "1" designations are often rules that have been traditionally used in long systems, and the "2" designations are rules that have been traditionally used in short systems. But I should also add that this isn't guaranteed in every case. There may be some scenarios where there are simply 2 implementations of the same indicator, and they may be labeled as 1 and 2 just to give them unique names.

Pete
Overload

Postby prlester » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for the info Pete
prlester

Return to OneClick Searches and Scoring