numofsymbols formula

StrataSearch will find what you tell it to, but what should that be? Will the same criteria work across different Sectors? Different time periods? Here we discuss the ins and outs of OneClick Searches.

numofsymbols formula

Postby Schutten » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 am

I tried to use the formula numsymbols in the screener. I also tried this in charts, to add a panel and use it as a indicator. Also there is not output when used in the screener as follows:

When I use as rank: proc(close,10)

and selection : numsymbols("S&P 500 index", mom(close,30)>0)

Also when I change > to < nothing is selected. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Dennis
Schutten

Re: numofsymbols formula

Postby Overload » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 am

I tried your formula and it seemed to work fine for me. Here are some ideas:

1) Make sure you have spelled everything correctly, especially the name of your sector.

2) Enter the Setups > Sector Setups and verify that you have a sector named "S&P 500 Index", and that it has symbols in it.

3) In the Screener, make sure you are screening a date that has prices for symbols in the S&P 500 Index.

4) In the Screener, make sure you don't have a Selection Entry that could be filtering out your results. The formula you created should be entered as a Rank, not a Selection entry.

5) To be sure you're evaluating the correct symbols, make sure your Sector selection in the Screener is also set to "S&P 500 Index".

Hopefully one of these will identify the problem for you, but let me know if you need additional help on this.

Pete
Overload

Postby Schutten » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 am

Hi Pete,

I do get a output now, but not what I expected. In the help file it says that : it returns the number of stocks which meets the conditions.
So I expect a number of stocks or with other words a integer. Like 10 stocks meet the requirement. I guess I am misunderstand the purpose of this function?
If this is the case, is it possible to get a global number amount of stocks which meet the criteria?

Regards,
Dennis
Schutten

Postby Overload » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 am

Yes, it should return the number of symbols. However, the Screener Display will always display 6 decimals regardless of the value being calculated. So you might see return values such as:

Is this what you're seeing? If you are seeing values other than .000000 in the decimal with a numsymbols() formula, then you may still be doing something incorrectly.

Pete
Overload

Postby Schutten » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 am

What am I doing wrong overhere? I always get the same value for numbersymbols, even when I change the date.

Schutten

Postby Overload » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:59 am

The Momentum formula is:

(close / close n periods ago) * 100

With the above formula in mind, you can see that it should never create a negative value. But since your formula searches for the number of symbols that have a positive Momentum, it is always selecting the entire number of symbols in the sector.

Try using 100 instead of 0 as your oscillator midpoint. I believe that will provide results closer to what you are looking for.

Pete
Overload

Return to OneClick Searches and Scoring