Search process description

StrataSearch will find what you tell it to, but what should that be? Will the same criteria work across different Sectors? Different time periods? Here we discuss the ins and outs of OneClick Searches.

Search process description

Postby CarlosR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:54 pm

I'm trying to understand the search process that SS uses a little better. Is it described anywhere? I looked in the manual and didn't see it.

What I'm wondering is: is it a random process, an exhaustive process, something that is guided by a genetic algorith, or just how does it work?

Also, I kinda suspect that the process may be different for a OneClick, and Auto Search, or a Multi-system search. Is that right, and if so, how do the search algorithms differ?

Just trying to understand it all better, so I can put it to best use.

=Carlos=
CarlosR

Postby Overload » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:23 pm

There are really 2 parts to the automated search: AutoSearch and OneClick. The AutoSearch is the engine that keeps building and testing new strategies, and the OneClick adds an intelligent selection criteria to this. I would suggest you start by getting a handle on the AutoSearch first. Once you understand that pretty well, we can move on to OneClick.

Each of the following can be found in the program's help, but I'll reference the online versions here for easy access. This first link helps describe the AutoSearch process:

http://stratasearch.com/trading/terms_autosearch.html

This second link contains a movie that describes the AutoSearch:

http://www.stratasearch.com/movies/overview3.html

Have a look at both of these resources and let me know if you have any questions. When you're ready, we can move on to the OneClick.

Pete
Overload

Postby CarlosR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks, Pete. This looks like what I was looking for.

I must say, the writeup seems a bit more substantive than something that I would expect to find under "Terms and Definitions", which is I guess why I didn't think to look there. I just focused on the main text.

But that doesn't matter, thanks for the links. I will study them and get back with any questions, as you suggested.

=Carlos=
CarlosR

Postby CarlosR » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm

OK, I watched the movie and read the link. Now here's my first question. I assume that SS keeps track of combinations that it's tried, so it doesn't try them again in the same search, right? If so, then if I terminate the search and later restart it, are those original combination tried again, or does it "know" that it already tried those?

And here's a totally unrelated question: are the pre-structured AutoSearches defined somewhere, other than in their name? For example, what is a "Generic AutoSearch with Breadth", and where can I find that definition? (other than looking at the individual settings on all the tabs, of course)

Thanks,

=Carlos=
CarlosR

Postby Overload » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:56 am

I assume that SS keeps track of combinations that it's tried, so it doesn't try them again in the same search, right? If so, then if I terminate the search and later restart it, are those original combination tried again, or does it "know" that it already tried those?

If you're using any of the pre-defined AutoSearches, there are trillions of combinations that can be created through this random approach. Not only would it take a lifetime to run them all, but it would take terabytes to keep track of them. For this reason, filters are used to prevent them all from entering the database. This way, you can keep the search running and keep your results database small and manageable by only keeping the very best.

To answer your question, StrataSearch does not specifically keep track of everything that has been run. Doing so would simply have too much overhead. However, if a particular combination has been stored in the results database, that combination will not be rerun. So you won't get duplicates in the results database.

Results that have been stored in your database will be kept even when you stop and restart StrataSearch. So you don't lose anything by stopping and restarting.

And here's a totally unrelated question: are the pre-structured AutoSearches defined somewhere, other than in their name? For example, what is a "Generic AutoSearch with Breadth", and where can I find that definition? (other than looking at the individual settings on all the tabs, of course)

The different AutoSearch Setups contain different groupings of Trading Rules, and we've created a variety of different groupings for the installation. But there is no further description for them, apart from the name. You can get a general sense when looking at the tabs you mentioned. Make sure you set the AutoSearch Objective to "Either Long or Short Positions" and set the Trading Rules Filter to "[All Trading Rules]", and you'll be able to see which Trading Rules were selected and which were not.

As an example, the "Generic AutoSearch" contains nearly all trading rules except those that measure market breadth. The "Generic AutoSearch with Breadth" includes the market breadth rules. The market breadth indicators, while powerful, also run very slow since they need to take a separate pass through the price data to calculate their numbers. So they are not included in most searches by default.

Hopefully that covers these questions, but let me know if you have more.

Pete
Overload

Return to OneClick Searches and Scoring