Renaming One-Click Search Setups

StrataSearch will find what you tell it to, but what should that be? Will the same criteria work across different Sectors? Different time periods? Here we discuss the ins and outs of OneClick Searches.

Renaming One-Click Search Setups

Postby Grek » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 am

Hi.

This post is about the desirability/necessity of giving an OCS (or any other form of search) a good name before starting it.

The default result of a OCS is to keep the single "best" multi-system found. As such, that result reflects all the setup parameters of the OCS, most particularly the "sectors" or single "symbol" of data that were searched over.

If one is aiming to keep results separated by, shall I say, "sector set" (the union of whatever sectors/symbols were enabled in the OCS setup), then it seems critical that text identifying the sector set be built into the name of your OCS before you run it for the first time.

I say this because I cannot find any way to rename an OCS setup after the fact. Is this actually the case?

I note that OCS setups can be copied, and the copy given a new name, but that breaks the connection to previous results (correct?).

So, were I to run the OCS setup 'High Sharpe Ratio' on the D30, and then wish to run the same OCS setup 'High Sharpe Ratio' on the N100, keeping a different final result for each, I would have forever hobbled my ability to later find my results if I didn't copy 'High Sharpe Ratio' and rename it to 'High Sharpe Ratio - D30' (or similar) before my very first run.

Is that correct?

If I'm getting the general gist of the situation, I wonder if SS support or other users might share what they've come up with so far for good practice in naming conventions (since "sector" may not be the only config element that this general line of thinking applies to).

BTW, I can imagine that the ability to rename an existing OCS (or other search) after it has been run might not be a simple thing to implement. One reason for this might be that the name is written into various structures in the results database and thus could not be changed without an expensive, hassle-to-write, and possibly error-prone deep troll through the results database that rewrites tons of stuff.

Of course, I'm just speculating here. Is this (or something similar) the case?

If not, and renaming after-the-fact could be done relatively simply, I think it would be very helpful to have.
Grek

Postby Dacamic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:57 pm

You are correct that a OneClick setup cannot be renamed without breaking the link to its prior results. I agree the flexibility you described would be helpful, and so we will look at how easily this change can be included in a future release.

For what it's worth, I tend to use pre-built setups as templates that are copied and renamed prior to starting searches. My naming convention isn't as structured as it should be, yet it usually leaves a decent trail by referencing a significant attribute of the underlying search. Since we rarely have 20/20 foresight, however, it would be nice to keep the trail visible in the manner you requested after a search has begun.
Steve
Dacamic

Postby Grek » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Dacamic wrote:My naming convention isn't as structured as it should be, ...
LOL.

Thanks for your confirmation, and for putting this on the "to consider" list for the future.
Grek

Return to OneClick Searches and Scoring