Saving and Returning to Multiple OC Searches

StrataSearch will find what you tell it to, but what should that be? Will the same criteria work across different Sectors? Different time periods? Here we discuss the ins and outs of OneClick Searches.

Saving and Returning to Multiple OC Searches

Postby Grek » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 pm

If I 'Hold' a One-Click Search (OCS), thus putting it into the Processor Queue, will it remain there forever if I don't delete it?

For example, could I run several different OCS's for a day each, accumulating maybe 10 or 20 of them in the queue (thus obtaining first rough results for each), then at a later time choose 1 or more for deeper refinement picking up where it left off ?

I'm very pleased to see that SS implements the notion of search resumption, and I'd like to understand the boundaries of that ...
Grek

Postby Overload » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Yes. In fact, you don't even need to leave it in the queue. Simply starting the same OneClick Search again at a later time will pick it back up where it left off. It doesn't even matter if you close and re-open StrataSearch, or even reboot your computer.

As well, all results will remain out there forever unless specifically deleted. While clicking the Results button in the Processor is a short-cut to viewing results of the currently running search, you can also open the Display > Combination Results menu to locate any results in your database.

Hope that helps.

Pete
Overload

Postby Grek » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:14 pm

That's excellent. Thanks!

As searches are restarted and eventually accumulate alot of time, is the combination space searched without repeats, or are repeats accepted as part of the process?
Grek

Postby Overload » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:20 am

For a OneClick Search, repeats are accepted as part of the process. Based on the numbers of possible trading rules and all their potential parameters, there are literally trillions of possible "combinations". So storing them all to prevent repeats just isn't feasible.

When running Strategies, Multi-Systems or an AutoSearch, it will not repeat a combination that already exists in the results database. Thus, when running an individual Strategy, it will automatically terminate when all parameter variations have been run (assuming you're not filtering results from hitting the database in the first place).

Technically, an AutoSearch will terminate when all possible combinations exist in the results database as well. But, again, since there are potentially trillions of combinations to an AutoSearch, it isn't likely that all would be run and stored. However, if you happened to configure an AutoSearch that had only a small number of trading rules, it would automatically terminate when all combinations were in the results database.

Hopefully that makes sense, but feel free to ask if you have additional questions on this.

Pete
Overload

Postby Grek » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:02 pm

Good info. Thanks!
Grek

Return to OneClick Searches and Scoring