How to encourage smooth & consistent equity curves

StrataSearch will find what you tell it to, but what should that be? Will the same criteria work across different Sectors? Different time periods? Here we discuss the ins and outs of OneClick Searches.

How to encourage smooth & consistent equity curves

Postby mandelmus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:48 am

It looks like some of my OneClicks are selecting top strategies based on a handful of outliers. In other words, the equity curve will follow the index smoothly for several months and jump-up bigtime on a few 'lucky' trades that gapped-up 10+%. It's frustrating when the strategies with a couple big pops bump the existing smooth and consistent strategies off the list. Which metrics and settings should I use to encourage a smoother and/or more consistent equity curve rather than one with a couple big pops?

I've looked through the settings in some of the pre-made OneClicks but not sure which combinations are important:
$F_PctInMkt
Minimal Skew
Strong Trades ($C_DailyROR)
Outlier Test ($F_NetProfit - $F_SelNetProfit)
Standard Deviation Per Month / Year
mandelmus

Re: How to encourage smooth & consistent equity curves

Postby Overload » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:35 am

The "Outlier Test" is my favorite for identifying this type of issue. The Select Net Profit ($F_SelNetProfit) is the same as the Net Profit ($F_NetProfit) except that it excludes positions that had returns with more than 3 standard deviations from the average. So, as an example, if your Net Profit is 20% higher than your Select Net Profit, you'll know that 20% of your profit came from those outlier trades. If you don't want your system to have many outlier trades, you should look for a system where the Net Profit is not significantly higher than the Select Net Profit.

Pete
Overload

Return to OneClick Searches and Scoring