Move OC from one machine to another

StrataSearch will find what you tell it to, but what should that be? Will the same criteria work across different Sectors? Different time periods? Here we discuss the ins and outs of OneClick Searches.

Move OC from one machine to another

Postby gmg733 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:51 pm

I have a OC and I want to move it from one PC to the other. I use the one for processing daily signals and both for crunching strats. How can I move a strat from one PC to another?

Thanks!
gmg733

Re: Move OC from one machine to another

Postby Overload » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 am

If it is just a OneClick Setup that you want to transfer, you can export it through the File > Export Database menu. But here are some detailed steps.

1) First, identify the AutoSearch Setups that are used, since you will need to transfer those as well. Enter the OneClick Setup and note the AutoSearch Setups on the General tab and the Optimization tab (there are 2 AutoSearch Setups that can be used by a OneClick Search).

2) Enter the File > Export Database menu, and first enter a valid filename to contain the export.

3) Click the Filters button to the right of the OneClick Setups and check the box for the OneClick you wish to export.

4) Click the Filters button to the right of the AutoSearch Setups and check the boxes for the AutoSearch Setups you wish to export (see #1 above).

5) Click OK to create the export file.

On the destination machine, open the File > Import Database menu, and select the path of the file exported above. On the Import Database window that next appears, make sure you select the "Replace Existing Items" item at the bottom. Then click OK to complete the import.

Pete
Overload

Postby gmg733 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.
gmg733

Postby gmg733 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the help, it worked. But as usual it lead to another question.

I exported a strategy, i.e. combination results, and imported it into the other machine. All numbers look the same, but when I go to View Detailed Analysis the equity curve is different as is the Performance and Results. If I Rerun the Combination, the numbers of the Combo results stay the same. If I Run Detailed Analysis the numbers change and reflect the changed numbers I found in 'error' after the import. Long story short, the results on the one machine and on the other machine after being export and imported are different.

I checked my trade settings and they are all the same as are the dates for the combination results as verified on the Performance tab of the combo results.

I fell like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack here. The only thing I can think of is the data is different for the equities. I do a import every day to get the lastest days data for my signals.

Any ideas why this is happening? An otherwise great looking strategy is not as profitable when I export it and import it on my other machine.

Thanks.
gmg733

Postby Overload » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 am

When all settings, prices and formulas are identical across machines, you should be able to rerun the system and get the exact same results on each machine. So it is likely that there is something different between your 2 computers, and my guess is that it is the prices and/or sector definitions.

If you want to make sure your prices database is identical, there is a way to transfer the prices database from one computer to another. To do this, open the Help > Technical Support menu and click the Data Folder link. This will bring up an instance of Windows Explorer, showing your entire data installation. What you will need to do is copy the "Prices" folder from your source computer to your destination computer. Make sure StrataSearch is not running anything when you do the copy, and you'll need to restart StrataSearch on the destination computer once the copy is complete. But your prices database will be identical after doing this, and that may take care of the inconsistency.

Even a slightly different prices database can definitely affect the results. But if the system is robust, a slightly different database should not turn a winning system into a losing system. In any case, finding the source of the inconsistency is a good idea.

Pete
Overload

Return to OneClick Searches and Scoring