Buy and Hold

Let us know your likes and dislikes, or what you'd like to see next. We listen!

Buy and Hold

Postby marcd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

It would be nice to see on the 'detailed analysis' report a comparison of results to 'buy and hold' for a particular sector or index. So perhaps a drop down for choosing a sector- then the reports and graphs could show Buy and Hold- draw - equity curves, max drawdown etc. Marc
marcd

Re: Buy and Hold

Postby taowave » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:57 pm

i second that as benchmarking against the spy,qqqq is useless

marcd wrote:It would be nice to see on the 'detailed analysis' report a comparison of results to 'buy and hold' for a particular sector or index. So perhaps a drop down for choosing a sector- then the reports and graphs could show Buy and Hold- draw - equity curves, max drawdown etc. Marc
taowave

Re: Buy and Hold

Postby Overload » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:45 pm

As I'm sure you've seen, the Detailed Analysis already contains a ton of information. And doubling it with duplicate information for your benchmark could be overwhelming. So my suggestion is to run your buy and hold against your benchmark as a separate strategy, and then open its detailed analysis alongside your current detailed analysis. (You can have multiple Detailed Analyses open at the same time if you wish).

Using this technique, you won't waste time running an analysis against your benchmark every time, since you can reuse the same one over and over. And since it is a full detailed analysis, it will contain everything including equity curves, drawdowns, deviations, etc. It's the technique I've used for years and it has always worked well for me.

Pete
Overload

Return to Comments and Suggestions