Charting Recommendations

Let us know your likes and dislikes, or what you'd like to see next. We listen!

Re: Charting Recommendations

Postby taowave » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:40 am

I already have 4 other programs..I just like yours the best:)

Overload wrote:I merged your post into the ongoing Charting Recommendations thread, just to keep all the thoughts on charting in one place.

Sorry, but chart improvements are still not on the short-term list. There is still a great desire to do things in StrataSearch that can't be done anywhere else, so that's where the development focus will remain for the time being. It's not very exciting (or efficient) to put a great deal of development time into something that's already been done quite well by other software packages, so that's why the development focus in StrataSearch tends to focus on things that aren't available elsewhere.

You're absolutely right about the charting limitations. But, again, it's proved to be sufficient for most users that use StrataSearch primarily for its back testing and automation. I would definitely recommend searching for a supplemental charting package if it's important to you and you want something beyond the StrataSearch capabilities. It isn't uncommon for high-end traders to diversify their research across multiple software programs.

Pete
taowave

Postby taowave » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:16 pm

My final plea on Charting..I am 99% in your camp

Would you consider a vertical cursor that doesnt dissapear when you attempt to bring up a data window??
Also,could the data window access all panes so I can read all values??

Thanks,

Allan
taowave

Postby Overload » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Both are good suggestions, and they are now on the list. Thanks for the input.

Pete
Overload

Postby trader.syoung » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Is there some way, in the context menu - to be able to get a list of ALL the chart Values on a given pane, I find it is impossible to locate a chart value - if it doesn't have value that is visible (for example) the formula just put in didn't work for the data -
I have to delete the chart and start over again.
I like to create formulas and chart them immediately - to be sure they work like I expect before using them in a strategy.
If there was a list of all chart values in the given pane - that I could pick from to edit - that would greatly reduce my debug time.
Thanks.
trader.syoung

Postby Overload » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Is there some way, in the context menu - to be able to get a list of ALL the chart Values on a given pane,

This has come up multiple times, and I have run into it myself. Sometimes you can scroll through the next few symbols, and one of them may provide a visual of your Calculation. If so, you can highlight it and make changes before scrolling back to your original symbol. There have been times I've simply added a new Indicator setup entirely, leaving the old/invisible one out there since it never displays anyway.

But you're right that a list would be helpful. I will put this on the list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pete
Overload

Postby marco » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Bit of an old thread, but if you're still looking for suggestions:

If I run a detailed analysis I sort the trades by gain/loss column, and that is were I would like to be able to view the charts: Is there something common going on chartwise with the biggest losers? On double-clicking the chart pops up, but if I click the arrow I get the next stock in alphabetical order where I would rather see the next one in my current sorting( and with the buy and sell arrows and not the time-interval that was used on the previous symbol)

And the popup chart has only a 3 month timeframe, but if you want to take a quick glance at your trade a bigger picture would be helpful.
marco

Postby Overload » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:51 pm

If I run a detailed analysis I sort the trades by gain/loss column, and that is were I would like to be able to view the charts: Is there something common going on chartwise with the biggest losers? On double-clicking the chart pops up, but if I click the arrow I get the next stock in alphabetical order where I would rather see the next one in my current sorting( and with the buy and sell arrows and not the time-interval that was used on the previous symbol)

The chart in this situation only displays the buy and sell for that one trade, and nothing else. So it is not expected that you will be able to scroll through the list as you suggested. If you want to see the next trade in the list, you'll need to close the chart and double-click on the next trade. But I'll put that request on the list.

And the popup chart has only a 3 month timeframe, but if you want to take a quick glance at your trade a bigger picture would be helpful.

It is true that the chart focuses in on the single trade, but you can always zoom out if you'd like a larger view.

Pete
Overload

Postby marco » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:54 pm

It is true that the chart focuses in on the single trade, but you can always zoom out if you'd like a larger view.

I would prefer this the other way around, and zoom in if I want to examine the chart closer. Is it possible to make a user-configurable default setting?
Or possibly create keyboard shortcuts (+ and -) for zoom, (Alt + X) to close the chart window.

I would just consider it a major improvement to have the ability to quickly go through the trades without having to mouse all over the screen.
marco

Postby Overload » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 am

I would prefer this the other way around, and zoom in if I want to examine the chart closer. Is it possible to make a user-configurable default setting?
Or possibly create keyboard shortcuts (+ and -) for zoom, (Alt + X) to close the chart window.

That is not configurable, but I will put that on the list as a possible future enhancement.

I would just consider it a major improvement to have the ability to quickly go through the trades without having to mouse all over the screen.

Thanks for your input. This is also on the list.

Pete
Overload

Previous

Return to Comments and Suggestions