Charting Recommendations

Let us know your likes and dislikes, or what you'd like to see next. We listen!

Charting Recommendations

Postby Overload » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Due to a couple recent posts, I'm opening this thread to collect additional information on the improvements that users would like to see in the charts. Although we use an external charting package, there is still some flexibility regarding the things we can do. For example, we could add an additional toolbar (or expand an existing one) to provide users with quick access to the features they use most. Some areas, however, we have limited control over and cannot do much without a switch to an entirely different package. The comments you provide here will help us determine which course is best.

If you have suggestions or requests, please provide some detailed information on the enhancements you'd like. Suggestions like "better drawing tools" are of limited benefit, as I'd really like to know in greater detail how you think they should be improved.

Any developers familiar with graphics packages that would like to make a suggestion, that would be welcome as well.

I'll also add that I've personally been happy with the charts as they are. It's rare that I have a need for a charting function that I cannot do. On the other hand, I don't consider myself a chartist and don't spend a great deal of time examining the charts. That's why your input is valued.

Thanks for your comments.

Pete
Overload

Re: Charting Recommendations

Postby taowave » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi Pete,
I am going to start with a very general set of suggestions and then be a bit more specific.

As I mentioned,the Charting package is a bit clunky and very difficult to navigate around.The charting in Signals is alot better as one can switch to different type of charts "realtively" easy.With that said,here is my initial thoughts.

There has to be an easier way of bringing up indicators on a chart.Drag and drop is the norm nowadays,and the user should be able to simply change the parameters for indicators thru a pop up window.

A Charting package should also enable the user to switch time frames.In the case of SS,one should be able to simply go from a daily to weekly to monthly chart.With that said,if I drew LT trendlines on the monthly chart,I would like to see them not disappear when I shift down to a lower time frame such as the weekly or the daily.

As for trendlines(,it would be nice if they could be extended,and if it was a bit easier to place the trendlines at tops and bottoms.Many programs let you compress the price chart so the price bars arent at the extreme top and bottom of the page.I often attempt to draw a trendline(or retracements) from the lowest bar and it freaks out on me and goes haywire.Very annoying.A trendline magnet wouldnt hurt.

A data window and cursor that showed net change would be nice as well.

The ability to have multiple charts would be nice

Thats it for now.I have intentionally kept it pretty general.

Overload wrote:Due to a couple recent posts, I'm opening this thread to collect additional information on the improvements that users would like to see in the charts. Although we use an external charting package, there is still some flexibility regarding the things we can do. For example, we could add an additional toolbar (or expand an existing one) to provide users with quick access to the features they use most. Some areas, however, we have limited control over and cannot do much without a switch to an entirely different package. The comments you provide here will help us determine which course is best.

If you have suggestions or requests, please provide some detailed information on the enhancements you'd like. Suggestions like "better drawing tools" are of limited benefit, as I'd really like to know in greater detail how you think they should be improved.

Any developers familiar with graphics packages that would like to make a suggestion, that would be welcome as well.

I'll also add that I've personally been happy with the charts as they are. It's rare that I have a need for a charting function that I cannot do. On the other hand, I don't consider myself a chartist and don't spend a great deal of time examining the charts. That's why your input is valued.

Thanks for your comments.

Pete
taowave

Postby Overload » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks, that just the kind of input I'm looking for.

Pete
Overload

Postby erdiesel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 am

I was just about to create a new thread on an issue that I've been havig with the charting, and that is the fact that bars always seem to be at the extreme top or bottom. I've never used a charting program that did this and makes drawing trendlines difficult as tao mentioned, not to mention just looks terrible to see bars so close to the top and bottom.

Also, the volume bars are difficult to read since they are single thin lines, difficult to read especially when you shrink down the charts. I would suggest proper volume bars and not simply thin lines.

also, for many indicators, the scale along the right side is out of whack and difficult to read, disappears, or gets cut off when you have multiple panels. and in regards to the scale along the right, the value points that you display are all "odd" or weird type numbers. For example, 17.10 then 18.07, then 19.03. It makes calculating midway values more difficult then it should. Please please please, display a scale along the right side that makes sense!!! i.e. use easily divisible numbers. For example, in the above, use 17.00 then 18.00 then 19.00. This way i know midpoint between 17 and 18 is 17.5 without busting out a calculator. I have no idea how/why you display the scale values as you do. Makes no sense to me. This also applies to panels containing indicators.

I would also suggest that for the price charts and any indicator panels, that you display an overlay of the most current value along the scale on the right in some highlighted color like almost every other charting program on the market does today. This will allow us to easily see what the most recent value is.

In terms of viewing data points within the chart, a crosshair option would be nice like every other charting program offers, with a crosshair that cuts across all panels and displays the value somewhere (upper left) for price action as well as any indicators even in separate panels

I'm sure i'll post more as I go through the program in more detail, but the above I noticed pretty much immediately.

I also agree with the comment about drag and drop method of overlaying indicators and editing parameters via pop up boxes. The current process takes too long and is not very intuitive.
erdiesel

Postby Overload » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:24 am

Thanks for the input. All comments are welcome.

Pete
Overload

Postby erdiesel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:38 pm

On a different note, I am interested in your program not for its charting but for it's scanning and such. I used a separate application primarily for charting. Still, doesn't hurt to improve the charting :)
erdiesel

Postby taowave » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi Pete,

Another suggestion is to have an overlay feature on the price chart.Its nice to have a line chart overlaid on the primary data series

Allan
taowave

Postby Overload » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:34 pm

Another suggestion is to have an overlay feature on the price chart.Its nice to have a line chart overlaid on the primary data series

One can already plot calculations on the price panel, but I agree it would be nice to be able to overlay using a different numerical grid. Thanks for adding it to the list.

Pete
Overload

Postby Grek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:46 am

When opening a chart, or switching a chart (nice!) , we get a dialog box with all available defined charts. This is a fairly large list, and will only get larger as we define/save our own charts (very easy now, thanks to the new ability to create a chart with formula calculations!).

I'd like to suggest that the user be able to designate a subset of all the charts (i.e. Favorites) and be able to click a button (or somehow) limit the list of displayed chart to the desired subset when choosing a chart.
Grek

Postby Grek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:57 am

I would also like to be able to drag chart windows outside of the SS desktop onto other screens of my multi-monitor rig.

Along with this, being able to save/reload a set of open windows (incl. but not necessarily limited to charts) across program invocations would be nice.
Grek

Postby Overload » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks for the charting recommendations. We'll revisit each of these down the road if/when we focus on the charting.

Along with this, being able to save/reload a set of open windows (incl. but not necessarily limited to charts) across program invocations would be nice.

Have you used the "Windows > Save Settings on Exit" menu in StrataSearch? If that menu selection is checked, the windows will be saved/reloaded from one invocation to another.

Pete
Overload

Postby Grek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Have you used the "Windows > Save Settings on Exit" menu in StrataSearch?

Oh, that's it alright. Right there in plain sight ... :oops:
Thanks!
Grek

Postby billybob » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:16 pm

There is a website (dare I say the name?) that divides Bollinger Bands into sixths and use those to base trading rules around. It would be helpful if charting would allow us to do that.
billybob

Postby Dacamic » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:43 pm

billybob wrote:There is a website (dare I say the name?) that divides Bollinger Bands into sixths and use those to base trading rules around. It would be helpful if charting would allow us to do that.

I need a bit more info to understand your request. In StrataSearch, the width of Bollinger Bands is configurable and multiple bands can be used. So, for example, it's already possible to use bands set at 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2, 1.5 and 1.8 standard deviations. Is this the functionality you want?
Steve
Dacamic

Postby billybob » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:22 pm

The website I referenced changed their access. All I have been able to find is references to "3 Sigma". My understanding is that they divided each half of the Bollinger Bands into thirds. I'm not sure if your reply described the same thing.

I looked for Chart Description but when I right clicked on the chart, I did not find Chart Description on the popup list.
billybob

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions