Google Finance

Let us know your likes and dislikes, or what you'd like to see next. We listen!

Google Finance

Postby R1Ch4RD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:45 am

Hi, I am a new user of the software.
Let me start with: thanks! A great software and a great solution.
I have actually been looking for an strategy software for quite a while now. One that I could use for trading in the OMX and scandinavian exchanges, where I live. I have tried a lot, ninjatrader, amybroker, multicharts, etc. pretty much all the "top" recommendation from the various blogs I have visited. It was in one of them I found StrataSearch (trade2win I think). No comments, stars or recommendations, but as all the ones with stars failed to do the job, I gave it a try and and I am happy I did. I cannot believe nobody has recommended it before over there. It is invaluable for Europeans depending on Yahoo/Google for affordable EOD data and intraday quotes. Many softwares say they connect to google/yahoo, etc. But once I installed them and started testing them. Support for the markets I needed was non-existent. I could not upload prices and most times I needed to search the internet for list of symbols (not an easy task for the markets I wanted), as no software I tested connected to yahoo like stratasearch and just downloaded all symbols within a market.

Anyway, as I said I trade on the OMX/scandinavia. And unfortunately, neither yahoo nor google have all the quotes I need. But they do between them. Google does not have the OSE (oslo stock exchange) and Yahoo does not have the Helsinki OMX. They both have the Stockholm and Copenhagen ones. But I miss now helsinki OMX as Stratasearch does not connect to google finance. Do you guys have plans to connect to it?

I also trade a lot in funds, I use bloomberg and Morningstar so far for technical analysis, intraday developments, etc. Do you happen to know of an affordable source of quotes and EOD historic data for the european fund market (most of them are exchanged in Luxemburg).

thanks,
R1Ch4RD

Re: Google Finance

Postby Overload » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:57 am

Glad to hear you are enjoying StrataSearch. Google Finance is an option worth considering, but right now they do not provide much data that Yahoo Finance does not. You mention that Google provides prices for Helsinki OMX, but I do not believe that is the case. Currently I believe their only markets are: Hong Kong - Canada - U.S. - China - U.K.

As for paid services, you can look at the following options that have been used by other StrataSearch users. I am not sure if they have the mutual fund data that you are looking for, but you can check:

http://www.csidata.com
http://www.metastock.com/products/endof ... ?exchanges

Also, keep in mind that StrataSearch can also import prices from the common MetaStock file format, and from a variety of ASCII/CSV formats. Since most pricing services can deliver prices in one of these file formats, there may be other pricing services out there that can provide the prices you need. But you may need to do some searching on your own to find the pricing services that works best for you.

Pete
Overload

Postby R1Ch4RD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks Pete.

I'll check those prices providers. As for google, they do a couple of nice things worth noticing. I just find out that their stock screener let me compile an updated and easy to access list of symbols :) I have updated the ones from StrataSearch already (for the markets i am using). Do not know why Yahoo discontinued theirs.

As for the Helsinki OMX. They do. try to look for NOK1V (new nokia shares) in Yahoo and the stock is listed in Milan or "TI". In google is under HEL:NOK1V and you can find the Helsinki OMX under Finland on their stock screener. I should know, I own a few of those...
R1Ch4RD

Postby Overload » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:07 pm

In google is under HEL:NOK1V

Thanks for the tip on Google. I did not know they carried different exchanges. Unfortunately there is still a problem. First look at this link for Microsoft MSFT on the U.S. exchange:

https://www.google.com/finance/historic ... qAHez4DYCA

Notice that there is a link to "Download to Spreadsheet" on the right. Now look at this link for HEL:NOK1V:

https://www.google.com/finance/historic ... qQG8q4DICw

As you can see, there is no "Download to Spreadsheet" link for these prices, which would make it a much more difficult task to automate downloading of these prices.

Pete
Overload

Postby R1Ch4RD » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Pete, I feel the customer support here is fantastic. Much appreciated.

A fellow invester here gave me a tip yesterday on a norwegian forum. He was using something call databull but complained that the helsinki data was not there either... but, he had found out that netfonds.no, a net broker service, provides historical eod data for quite a lot of markets, for free and in txt, csv and svd formats.
They cover stocks from Norway, sweden, denmark, Europe (amsterdam, helsinki, italy, spain,Euronext, brussels,Swisserlan, vienna, lisbon and plenty more). From usa they do only Nasdaq, Nyse, Amex. They also do currencies and some metals/oil.

The only problem is that they have their own "tickets" or symbols - thought they have the list of symbols off course. For Nokia in Helsinki is (all history in text format).
http://www.netfonds.no/quotes/paperhist ... format=txt

They have also about 300 mutual funds and many ETFs. Most scandinavians but also popular europeans and american funds/ETFs. all history for those is fully downloadable too.

Maybe this could be of interest to other stratasearch users of european markets/funds.
R1Ch4RD

Postby Overload » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the tip. If you give them a try, please let me know how it goes.

Pete
Overload

Return to Comments and Suggestions