Working with adjusted and unadjusted prices from Yahoo

Questions directed to our Support Team. Responses can be expected within 24 hours.

Working with adjusted and unadjusted prices from Yahoo

Postby mandelmus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:03 pm

I am using Yahoo as the data source. When I compared the prices for SPY listed in StrataSearch with the historical prices listed on Yahoo, it looks like StrataSearch's prices include adjustments for dividends, etc., while the data downloaded directly from Yahoo does not. How can I work with unadjusted prices for SPY in StrataSearch? Is there a quick way to overwrite the adjusted prices with the unadjusted prices?

Ref: https://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=SPY&a= ... f=2015&g=d
mandelmus

Re: Working with adjusted and unadjusted prices from Yahoo

Postby Overload » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:01 pm

When importing directly from Yahoo Finance, it will always import adjusted prices and there isn't a way to change that. But if you go to Yahoo Finance and visit the Quote page for SPY, you'll see a link for Historical Prices. From that link it is possible to download the SPY prices in a CSV file. Place that file in an separate (and otherwise empty) folder in Windows. Then in StrataSearch, open the File > Import Prices menu and change the Source Type to "ASCII Format". You'll then need to make a number of adjustments to the settings (click F1 from that page for Help), but that will allow you to import unadjusted SPY prices. It may seem like a lot of work initially, but it's really not too difficult once you've gotten over the learning curve and entered the base settings.

Pete
Overload

Postby mandelmus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:31 am

Ok, I tried it a bunch of different ways and StrataSearch kept giving me errors, like this ...

"04/16/15 22:38:06 Unable to open input file: C:\MyData\Prices\SPY.csv. Check your ASCII import settings to ensure the requested file exists."

My solution was to:
> delete the existing SPY symbol via "Setups > Price and Symbol Setups ..."
> open the historical price file I downloaded for SPY
> format every column of the CSV file ... "d/m/yyyy" for dates and "number" for OHLC values
> remove any extra columns ... *adjusted close, etc.
> save the filename as "SPY.csv"
> saved to the following directory path: "C:\MyData\Prices\SPY.csv"
> Set "File > Import Prices > Source Type: ASCII Format"
> Set "Options > Import Prices and Symbols"
> make sure the directory path went to the lowest level folder that contained the price files ... this directory path didn't work: "C:\MyData" ... apparently, StrataSearch won't recurse deeper from top-level folders
> Set "Delimiter > Comma"
> Set "Symbol: From Filename"
> Set "Product: Stocks"
> Set "Bypass Header: Yes"
> Set "Record Layout" to "Date MDY, Open Price, High Price, Low Price, Close Price, Volume"

"04/16/15 22:39:59 Processing completed successfully for Import Prices"

> For some reason, the automated sector import did not re-associate SPY back with its sectors. So, after the successful import of historical price data, I re-associated SPY with its sectors via "File > Import Sectors > Edit > make an insignificant change like removing a blank line > File > Save > Ok".
mandelmus

Postby Overload » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 am

I'm not sure where things stand based on your message. Did you get it working? If not, I'll need to know what issue is remaining.

Thanks,
Pete
Overload

Postby mandelmus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:45 am

Yes, all working now. Thanks
mandelmus

Return to Technical Support