Autosearch getting aborted by Run Signal

Questions directed to our Support Team. Responses can be expected within 24 hours.

Autosearch getting aborted by Run Signal

Postby timr411 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:26 pm

I have a Run Signals scheduled every evening. Recently I've been running lengthy Autosearches, which oftentimes gets interrupted by Run Signals. When this happens, Autosearch stops for the higher-priority Run Signal, but then it never recovers and gives me the following error:

“Error in processing for TR_ma_crossovers: No symbols were available for evaluation.”

Is there something I can do to make sure my autosearch continues?

Thanks.
timr411

Re: Autosearch getting aborted by Run Signal

Postby Overload » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:05 pm

What happens when you try to restart the AutoSearch manually afterwards? Same error?

I'm curious if you have to do anything to the prices or settings to get it to continue after a price import.

Pete
Overload

Postby timr411 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:25 am

Ah, when I restarted the AutoSearch, it appears to have continued, assumingly where it left off, thanks. And yes, I did Price and Sector imports before I did the run Signals. Is there something I can set so that it will automatically resumw the AutoSearch after Run Signals is done? Clicking on Resume in the processor didn't work...I had to actually restart the AutoSearch from Run Combinations.
timr411

Postby Overload » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:14 am

When scheduled items interrupt an AutoSearch in the Processor, the AutoSearch will temporarily be placed back in the Processor Queue, and will then restart when the scheduled items have completed. There is nothing you need to do for this since that happens automatically. And normally it should work just fine.

The issue here, however, is why you received that "No symbols were available for evaluation" error message. By default, when an error is encountered, the Processor Queue is paused and nothing further will run until the system is manually restarted.

There aren't many scenarios where an AutoSearch would be running fine, then be interrupted by a Price Import, and then fail with the "No symbols were available" message after restarting. In most cases that would only happen if the Evaluation Period or symbol/sector definitions were manually changed. Or is it possible that "TR_ma_crossovers" hadn't been running before the Daily Signals, but then the error arose when it was run for the first time after the Daily Signals? If you had multiple AutoSearches in the Queue, it is possible that a different one may have started after the Daily Signals.

In any case, there is one tip I can offer. Enter the Setups > System Settings menu, General tab, and uncheck the box "Pause Processor if error is encountered". If this box is unchecked and you have multiple AutoSearches in the Queue, the Processor will just continue right away with the next one if an error is encountered.

Pete
Overload

Postby timr411 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:55 am

I unchecked the "Pause Processor if error is encountered" box. My autosearch continued to run today (no other autosearches were running) all the way until my scheduled Daily Signals interrupted it at 9:30 tonight. The Daily Signals completed, then I still got the same error message about no symbols available when the autosearch apparently attempted to resume. The Processor showed being Idle with nothing in the queue. I went back to Run Combinations and restarted the same autosearch. It appears to have continued where it left off.

So, unchecking that box didn't fix the problem.

Here are the last 4 lines from the Event Viewer:

02/20/15 21:39:03 Processing completed successfully for Signals: 3596_SP5_2000_2009
02/20/15 21:39:03 Processing initiated for: *TR_dyn_auto_17826
02/20/15 21:39:06 Error in processing for *TR_dyn_auto_17826: No symbols were available for evaluation.
02/20/15 21:50:21 Processing initiated for: *TR_dyn_auto_17826

Note, the last line occurred when I manually restarted the autosearch (at 21:50:21). Nothing else was changed.
timr411

Postby Overload » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:12 am

I have an idea, but I'd first like to look at your Debug File. Use the File > Create Debug File menu to create a Debug File, and then send it to me at support@stratasearch.com. I'll then have a look and let you know what to try next.

Thanks,
Pete
Overload

Postby timr411 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:43 am

Okay. Debug file has been sent.

--Tim
timr411

Postby Overload » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Thanks. I looked at the Debug File and wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary. I even ran some tests and wasn't able to recreate a similar problem here. Likewise, no other user has ever mentioned this problem. I'm still not sure why it's happening to you.

To investigate further may take significant time from both of us. I'd basically need you to package up your entire installation and FTP it up to the StrataSearch server, where I could download it and run tests using your exact installation. But before going down that road, there is a quick fix that I think is worth trying. I'd like to place a scheduled "Sleep" for just 1 minute before your AutoSearch restarts in the queue. If there are any locked files or possible conflicts between the last item in the queue and the restart of your AutoSearch, this may fix it.

To do this, enter the Setups > Scheduling menu, and click Add to enter a new scheduled item. Here are the settings you should enter:

Name: Sleep
Time: 9:30:15 PM (Assuming your Import Prices begins at 9:30:00 PM)
Type: Processor Sleep
Enter Sleep Minutes: selected
Sleep Minutes: 1
Queue Priority: 49
Return to queue...: checked

It's most important that this new Sleep setup be added just after your Import Prices begins, so that is why I have the Time set to what it is. Likewise, it's imporatant that the Queue Priority be set to 49, so that it will run just before your AutoSearch restarts. In theory, this will provide enough of a gap between your last process and the restart of the AutoSearch so that it can release any locks and avoid any synchronization conflicts.

Please give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Pete
Overload

Postby timr411 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:17 am

Pete--

Before I schedule the sleep, I need to tell you what I currently have scheduled every night M-F:

9:30:00 PM Yahoo Price Import
9:31:00 PM Sectors Import
9:32:00 PM Run_17826
9:33:00 PM Run_3596
11:45:00 PM Backup

Note, Run_17826 and Run_3596 are two Daily Signals I run every night. So the entire sequence above interrupts any autosearch that was running before 9:30. Knowing this sequence now, when precisely would you like me to insert the Sleep?

--Tim
timr411

Postby Overload » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:49 am

The 9:30:15 PM that I mentioned should work fine, as long as you give it the Queue Priority of 49. Based on your Event Log, the Price Import takes about 4 minutes to run. So your Sector Import and Daily Signals will accumulate in the Queue, with the AutoSearch set to restart last. The Sleep settings I mentioned will have the Sleep run after your Daily Signals but before the restart of the AutoSearch, which is just what we want. Hopefully this will take care of it, but definitely let me know.

Pete
Overload

Return to Technical Support