stratasearch and 0 volumes

Questions directed to our Support Team. Responses can be expected within 24 hours.

stratasearch and 0 volumes

Postby R1Ch4RD » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi,
Is there a way to filter out the trading rules that involve volumes? I am having an issue running stratasearch on mutual funds. The free data providers I have found do not report any volumes for mutual funds.

Or am I doing something wrong within Stratasearch? is there a way to run it "for mutual funds only" without any volume related trading rules.

R.
R1Ch4RD

Re: stratasearch and 0 volumes

Postby Overload » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Volume might be embedded in any number of indicators, like Money Flow Index or Klinger Oscillator. There is no specific documentation that identifies which indicators or rules use volume, and there isn't feature for avoiding rules that require volume.

On the other hand, if the volume is always 0, then the indicator value should not change from one day to the next. Thus an indicator using volume shouldn't be problematic since it isn't actually used to trigger anything. If you find a system that you like, you can always investigate the rules afterwards, and remove any rules that use volume. If the volume is always 0, then the system should be identical with or without the rule.

Pete
Overload

Re: stratasearch and 0 volumes

Postby Overload » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:30 am

I should probably make a change to my answer after thinking about it more. Indicators like Money Flow Index or Klinger Oscillator may actually change from one day to the next, even with zero volume. However, if the volume is always zero, it is the price action that is changing the indicator value from one day to the next, and not the volume. So indicators like these may still have value and create triggers, even though it is coming from the price portion of these indicators and not the volume. Hopefully that makes sense.

Pete
Overload

Return to Technical Support