Questions about sectors and markets

Questions directed to our Support Team. Responses can be expected within 24 hours.

Questions about sectors and markets

Postby mandelmus » Sat May 10, 2014 3:32 am

What's the difference between "[All Securities]" and "All Stocks"?

I see there is a sector for "Nasdaq 100 Index Components". How do I select "All Nasdaq symbols" or "All AMEX symbols" or "All NYSE symbols"?
mandelmus

Re: Questions about sectors and markets

Postby Overload » Sat May 10, 2014 3:24 pm

The [All Securities] option includes every non-Index symbol in the prices database. All Stocks, however, is just a sector that happens to include only stocks. So if you're using the default price lists and importing prices from Yahoo, [All Securities] will include ETFs, while All Stocks will include only stocks and not ETFs.

There is not a sector for the different exchanges, but it is possible to build them. Enter the Setups > Exchange Setups menu and identify the "Exch ID" of the exchange you want to use. Next, enter the Display > Screener menu, click the New button, and enter a Selection filter of: exchid()=x where x is the Exch ID you previously identified in the Exchange Setups. Click the Calculate button to the generate the list of symbols in that exchange. And then click the Save... button in the upper-right to save that list of symbols to a new sector. That sector will then be available for use when running Strategies, AutoSearch, OneClick, etc.

Pete
Overload

Postby mandelmus » Mon May 19, 2014 1:00 am

Under "Exchanges Listing" I have AMEX, ETF, NYSE, and OTC. It looks like all my NASDAQ symbols are in the OTC exchange. Are there also non-NASDAQ symbols in the OTC exchange?

Also, after creating and importing a new set of symbols, I imported the sector list and it looks like I overwrote all my custom sectors. I guess I did not put a check in "Keep Existing Sectors". Is there a way to recover all my old custom sectors? Are they backed up somewhere?
mandelmus

Postby Overload » Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 am

It looks like all my NASDAQ symbols are in the OTC exchange.

Yes, the Nasdaq exchange is named OTC in the Yahoo data.

Are there also non-NASDAQ symbols in the OTC exchange?

There shouldn't be, but there is always a chance the pricing service may have made an error with a symbol or two.

Is there a way to recover all my old custom sectors? Are they backed up somewhere?

Sorry, but no. It is for this reason that the best method of adding custom sectors is to add them to the sector import settings. On the File > Import Sectors menu, click the Edit button to the right of the Sector File selection, and then add your custom sectors to the list there. Those settings do get backed up, so you'll always be able to rerun your Import Sectors in the future and recreate your custom sectors as needed. If you simply enter the Setups > Sector Setups menu and create your custom sectors there, they won't be backed-up.

Pete
Overload

Return to Technical Support