Upgrading to new computer

Questions directed to our Support Team. Responses can be expected within 24 hours.

Upgrading to new computer

Postby Kevin_in_GA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 pm

and want to be sure that my filters, formulae, trading systems and data are transferred without issue.

I have a 1 Tb external drive to move files onto - I am assuming that there is an export process for this? Pete, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Kevin_in_GA

Re: Upgrading to new computer

Postby Overload » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 am

The first step is to get your new computer licensed. To do this, install the latest version from the website and e-mail me the Machine ID. I'll then license that computer and let you know when it's ready.

To transfer the data, the best way to copy everything is to copy the entire Data Folder. On the "source" computer, open the Help > Technical Support menu in StrataSearch and click the Data Folder link. This will open Windows Explorer showing the data within your current Data Folder. If you move up one level in the directory structure, you'll see all your Data Folders. Do not copy the one called "\Common", but you probably have a default folder named "\Main", and maybe others. These are the folders you will want to copy from the "source" computer to the "destination" computer in the same location.

In short, there is a "\StrataSearch Data" folder on both your source and destination computers, and you can reach them on each of your computers by clicking the Data Folder link on the Help > Technical Support menu in StrataSearch. You'll then want to copy all folders within the "\StrataSearch Data" folder (except "\Common") from your source computer to your destination computer.

Hopefully that makes sense, but let me know if you have questions.

Pete
Overload

Postby mandelmus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:43 am

What are the specs of your new computer setup?
mandelmus

Postby Kevin_in_GA » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Nothing earth-shaking - a Core-i5 3450 chip with 8 Gb of DDR3 1333 memory, and a 2 Tb SATA drive. Transferred my Nvidia GT 520 video card with 2Gb VRAM and already had a 32 inch 1080P TV wall-mounted at my desk as a monitor (I like to game when I'm not running SS).
Kevin_in_GA

Return to Technical Support