What's the proper way to update symbols and prices

Questions directed to our Support Team. Responses can be expected within 24 hours.

What's the proper way to update symbols and prices

Postby mandelmus » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:16 am

My symbol database still does not list FB. What's the proper order of operations to update the symbol database and prices via Yahoo?
mandelmus

Re: What's the proper way to update symbols and prices

Postby Overload » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:50 am

Yahoo does not provide a usable list of the symbols they carry, and it's true that our own symbols list is only updated periodically. If you want to revise your symbol list on your own, open the File > Import Prices menu and click the Edit button to the right of the Securities selection. The symbol list will then be displayed in an external text editor, and you can add FB or make other changes there as needed.

Pete
Overload

Postby taowave » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:13 pm

And how would one downlaod the data from the start date?
If I wanted to add 6 symbols,is there a simple way of adding all 6 at once?
I added FB by going to "price and symbol setup"..is that incorrect?

Allan

Overload wrote:Yahoo does not provide a usable list of the symbols they carry, and it's true that our own symbols list is only updated periodically. If you want to revise your symbol list on your own, open the File > Import Prices menu and click the Edit button to the right of the Securities selection. The symbol list will then be displayed in an external text editor, and you can add FB or make other changes there as needed.

Pete
taowave

Postby Overload » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:25 am

If you want to download all prices from their first date available, check the "Clear Previous Prices" option on the File > Import Price menu. To add more symbols to your list, you can click the Edit button to the right of the Securities entry on the File > Import Prices menu.

Pete
Overload

Postby taowave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am

I believe that you are referring to notepad to add the symbols.
If so,I noticed that with some stocks you enclose the name with "xx",and other times you dont.It appears to be optional??

A,NYSE,"Agilent Technologies, Inc."
vs
AAPL,OTC,Apple Inc.

Do we have to(should we) add the exchange and symbol name?

Thanks,

Allan

Overload wrote:If you want to download all prices from their first date available, check the "Clear Previous Prices" option on the File > Import Price menu. To add more symbols to your list, you can click the Edit button to the right of the Securities entry on the File > Import Prices menu.

Pete
taowave

Postby Jaded » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 pm

If the company name has a comma in it, it must be quoted for the comma-separated format to know the correct number of columns. It is best practice to enclose all fields in quotes to keep things consistent, so in your example I would expect to see the following from a programmers standpoint and for consistency:

"A","NYSE","Agilent Technologies, Inc."
"AAPL","OTC","Apple Inc."
Jaded

Postby taowave » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:05 am

Thank you Jaded..I had no idea that was the correct formatting...

Jaded wrote:If the company name has a comma in it, it must be quoted for the comma-separated format to know the correct number of columns. It is best practice to enclose all fields in quotes to keep things consistent, so in your example I would expect to see the following from a programmers standpoint and for consistency:

"A","NYSE","Agilent Technologies, Inc."
"AAPL","OTC","Apple Inc."
taowave

Return to Technical Support