Can I run StrataSearch using a single Symbol?

General information on StrataSearch, including Frequently Asked Questions.

Postby JoeUser » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:17 pm

JoeUser

Postby Avarin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Yes, StrataSearch does a wonderful job of finding trading systems for a single symbol. Here are the things you will need to do to allow this:

1) Set up your sector. Enter the Setups > Sector Setups menu and click Add to create a new sector. Give your new Sector a name, and then locate the Symbol you wish to add. Double-click on the Symbol to check the box, and then click OK to save the new Sector.

2) You may want to set the “Remove Best/Worst Trades” setting to 0 from the default value of 2. This setting removes a couple of the best and worst trades from the evaluation, but this might not be necessary when evaluating a single symbol. Enter the Setups > Trade Settings menu. On the Combination Filters tab, set the Remove Best/Worst Trades to the value of your choice. On the Detailed Analysis Trades tab, the same setting can be found for the Detailed Analysis run, so you should set the same setting there as well.

3) Enter the Setups > OneClick Setups menu and update the Single Symbol Search item. First go to the Sectors tab and click the Uncheck All button. Then double-click on the new single-symbol Sector you added in Step 1 above.

4) Next go to the General tab of the OneClick Setup. A couple options here give you some additional flexibility. In the Search Objectives section you can define if you wish to search for long, short or either types of positions. And you can also set the Portfolio Size of the Multi-System. While you are trading only one symbol, there may be some benefit to trading multiple methods (i.e. strategies) against that single symbol at one time. In other words, you can get the diversity of several approaches by increasing the Number of Strategies. Click OK to save your changes when you are done.

5) When the above settings are complete, enter the Run > Run Combinations menu. Set your search to a OneClick search using the Single Symbol Search method. Then click Start to begin your search.

As with all the OneClick searches, you can control the filters and the balance of performance numbers that create the overall score. Use the Strategy Performance and Multi-System Performance in the OneClick Setups to adjust those settings as needed.
Avarin
Site Admin

Return to Help Tutorials and FAQ